AFL Hotel & Restaurant Workers & Welfare Trust Fund
Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't see an answer to your question, you can send us an email from our contact form.


There are three ways in which you can enroll for benefits;:

  • 1) visit our website at www.unitehere5trustbenefits.com to enroll safely and securely online;
  • 2) Come down to the Trust Fund Office to complete an Enrollment Form; or
  • 3) Go down to you Human Resources Office to pick up an Enrollment Form.
In order to enroll your spouse or dependent children onto your medical plan the following documents need to be submitted:
  • marriage license / certificate;
  • birth certificate;
  • social security numbers
* photo copies are acceptable and can be mailed directly to our office for processing.

When covering your spouse, you may be required to make a $40 per month payment (Coordination of Benefits (COB) – Spousal Payment) to the Trust Fund Office if your spouse is currently working more than 20 hours per week and does not have medical coverage or elects to waive their insurance with their current employer. All payments must be submitted to the Trust Fund Office by the 15th day of the month prior to the eligibility month.

Your dependent child(ren) are eligible for benefits until the age of twenty-six (26). At the time that you child(ren) reaches the age of nineteen (19), you will be required to submit an Declaration of Adult Dependent Status Form (DADS). Should your child(ren) be eligible for benefits through their employer, they will be required to enroll in their own coverage.

You can contact BRMS at any time to obtain the answers to your questions.

  • Adding Spouse / Dependent(s);
  • Change of Address;
  • Retiree medical benefits;
  • Change your beneficiary;
  • Disability.
During after office hours, you have the option of sending us an email to hiaflinfo@brmsonline.com and a representative will respond to your question the next business day.

To become eligible for benefits you must work eighty (80) hours in a month.

  • For example: Should you work 80 hours in the month of January; your employer will make the contributions on your behalf in February, and your medical coverage will be effective April 1st.
Also, visit our website at www.unitehere5trustbenefits.com to see the when you will be eligible for coverage.
  • Click on “Register” to sign up for your free account;
  • A password will be sent to your desired email address for you to view your information.
    • Work Hours Reported by your Employer;
    • Hour Bank;
    • Benefits currently enrolled in;
    • Personal Information;
    • Etc.
* If you are a new hire, you must have six (6) consecutive months of continuous eligibility before you are offered the vision and dental benefits.

Your medical coverage could be terminated for any of the following reasons:

  • You did not work the required eighty (80) hours during the month and you have no hours available in your hour bank;
  • Your employer did not submit contributions on your behalf; or
  • You terminated your employment with your employer
There are two options available to purchase should you lose your medical eligibility:
  • COBRA; or
  • Employee Self-Pay.
* Please contact the Trust Fund Office for the current rates of the two available options. We can be reached at 523-0199 or Neighbor Islands call (866) 772-8989.

Open Enrollment happens once every year. During the entire month of November you will be able switch your medical / dental plan. All changes will become effective January 1st.

  • You will need to complete a new Enrollment Form for these changes to take place.
  • Once the changes become effective, you will receive a new Medical ID card from the carriers (except Gentle Dental).

Depending on the number of years of Credited Service you will be entitled to the following benefits:

Schedule of Benefits and Copayments
Years of Credited ServiceEligible BenefitsMonthly Dependent Copayment
20 or more years of Credited ServiceMedical, prescription drug, dental, vision and death benefitsZero (0) contribution
15 or more years but less than 20 years of Credited ServiceMedical, prescription drug, dental, and death benefitsRetiree's spouse pays $25.00; retiree's dependent children pay $50.00
10 or more years but less than 15 years of Credited ServiceMedical, prescription drug, and death benefitsRetiree's spouse pays $30.00; retirees dependent children pay $60.00
5 or more years but less than 10 years of Credited ServiceMedical and prescription drug benefitsRetiree's spouse pays $35.00; retiree's dependent children pay $70.00
Less than 5 years of Credited ServiceMedical and prescription drug benefits (retiree pays 50% of the cost)Retiree's spouse and dependent children pay 100% of the cost

You must be continuously covered for health and welfare benefits under the Fund for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding your retirement as a result of any of the following:
  • Working;
  • Authorized leave of absence;
  • Authorized disability leave;
  • Self-payment program;
  • The COBRA program.
You retire on a pension from the Hotel Union and the Hotel Industry of Hawaii Pension Plan under the provisions of:
  • Normal Retirement at the age of 65;
  • Postponed Retirement, or age 70 ½ Mandatory Retirement; or
  • Early Retirement between the ages of 62 and 65 with 10 years of service, or
  • Early Retirement caused by disability; of
  • Disability Retirement with a Social Security Disability Award Letter.

At the age of 65, you will be able to enroll in one (1) of the following Senior Plans:

  • HMSA Akamai Advantage; or
  • Kaiser Senior Advantage.
Additionally you will be required to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B.
  • The Trust Fund will reimburse you and possibly your spouse a portion of the Medicare Part B premium based on the number of Credited Service Years that you obtained at the time of retirement.
Should you decide to move and reside on the U.S. Mainland, your retiree medical benefits will change to the HMA Out-of-State plan. At this time you will need to enroll into a Medicare Part D plan, and provide the Trust Fund office with the proof of your new coverage.

Do not enroll in any Medicare Part D coverage. Should you decide to pick up additional coverage your eligibility under the Trust Fund will be terminated. Here are a few examples of carriers:
  • Humana;
  • AARP;
  • SilverScripts;

Benefit and Risk Management Services (BRMS) has taken over the day-to-day operations of the AFL Hotel & Restaurant Workers Trust Funds in November 2008. Established in 1994, BRMS is a leading benefit administrator and healthcare risk manager that delivers innovative technology and administration that control rising healthcare costs. We have an experienced staff in our Health & Welfare and Pension departments ready to assist you with your every need.

The Trust Fund Office is located at:

560 North Nimitz Highway, Suite 209
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
(between K-Mart and City Mill)

Ample free parking in the front of the building. Once in the building take the stairs / elevator to the second floor and walk towards the stage area and follow the BRMS signs.

Office Hours : Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Phone Number : 523-0199
Neighbor Islands : (866) 772-8989